Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Evangelized!

I couldn't really count how many times a year a stranger would walk up to me, and ask me "How do you know you're going to heaven?" It's usually pretty hard for them to wrap their head around the idea that I don't think there is a heaven. So, street proselytizers are commonplace in any American city, but something I've really started to notice lately is online witnessing. Not the regular Christian intertrolls, but people who seem to actually care (doesn't make it okay either way). I'm talking about people who take however many minutes out of their life to try to personally save you. Noble, eh? I've known people who have had this happen to them but I got my first message from a girl named Anna the other day. Here it is.



When you die, nothing happens(?) life is really not about disproving others beliefs, but living by your own personal faith and having a positive outlook in life. no matter how much you try to tell Christians there "is no God", they will not listen to you, merely because Christians are just as hard headed as atheists.So you are wasting your time, giving yourself headaches day by day, trying not to believe something that could exist lol Fact is, Jesus made history, and he did not make it easy for us to trust in Him. The Bible is hard to understand because it's supposed to challenge us in ways where it will strengthen our faith. I suppose maybe you were a huge science geek in high school? You look like it, but anyway, if you read the new international version, I suppose you'd understand the Bible better..for real.I think I would like to see your pretty face in heaven someday


xoxoanna



Thank you Anna, so much, for your concern. You really know how to get me on your team. First underhandedly insult me, then call me pretty. In any case, last time I checked you didn't have to be a science "geek" to subscribe to rational thought. Let's just discount all the philospohers, artists, and not to mention oridnary fucking people(!) who are also atheists.



First of all, I don't sit around "giving myself headaches" everyday. I don't have existential meltdowns every three seconds because I get anxious that my intergalactic babysitter isn't watching. It's hard to believe that so many religious folk think that atheists are miserable. I shouldn't speak for everyone, but I know I'm certainly happy. As a matter of fact I'm so happy some might say I have a positive outlook on life. That couldn't be though because I don't believe in god.



You know that saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." THAT is why I write about my atheism. I was lucky enough to stumble upon Richard Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker, and it opened my eyes to a world that theists cut themselves off from. So while the assertion is made that no matter how many times I say "there is no god" I can tell you that it has worked on at least one person.



On the matter of Jesus making history. We don't know if he even existed. The only evidence we have to suggest he did comes from religious archaeologists with an agenda, interpretting history as they see fit to give creedence to their lord and saviour. People who cite the Bible as a work of historical fact are seriously confused about it's origins. Google council of Nicaea. I have some news and don't take it the wrong way, but...it's not the infallible word of god. Also, Anna. The fact that you're reading a version of the Bible rewritten means you're getting a watered down, filtered piece of shit. You'd probably be stoned for interpretation like that in Jesus' day.



If you feel like challenging my views that's fine. I feel pretty sure that gods don't exist, but I can't say for certain that they don't. I can however assure that you are going to have a hell of a time shaking my unbelief. And I hate to beat a dead horse, but you know what else might exist Anna?



The Flying Spaghetti Monster. Zeus. Kthulu.

No comments: